We help airline pilots create, grow and protect wealth so they can have as much fun in retirement as they did flying airplanes!
How can success in one profession, such as an Airline Pilot Professional translate into investing success?
Learn to use the skills and discipline that airline pilots must have to fly a safe and efficient airplane to improve your chances of successful investing.
Join Our Airline News Stream
Keep up with the latest news in the airline industry!
This is part 2 of our 3 part series on Estate Planning for airline pilots nearing the end of their career. Today’s conversation is about the specific documents you need before you retire. Kevin and Charlie outline the documents attorneys recommend and where to get them.
This is part 1 of our 3 part series on estate planning for airline pilots nearing the end of their career. These are the important documents and steps you need to have in order before you retire. Today’s conversation is about Wills & Trusts.
How can you structure your investments to maximize your retirement income? In essence, how you can take the most amount of money but pay the least amount of tax. This is a complicated subject but in this video Charlie and Kevin’s discuss the high points and give you a great starting off point.
How much does luck have to do with building a successful retirement nest egg? Consider what would happen if immediately following your retirement there is a recession. Talk about bad luck! Unless… you planned for it.
Recording of our webinar for Southwest Airlines Pilots regarding Voluntary Separation Pay (VSP) 2020 and Extended Time Off (ExTO). Tuesday, June 23rd at 12pm CST (Herb) / 1pm, EST.
Southwest Airlines, in an effort to reduce its workforce, has just offered pilots Voluntary Separation Pay (VSP) and Extended Emergency Time Off (ExTO). Both are generous packages (in our opinion) and an excellent option for some pilots. How do you know if it’s right for you? In this video, Kevin & Charlie discuss what is in each package, how it may affect your overall financial picture, if you can afford to take one of them, and ultimately how to decide if you should be part of the voluntary reduction.
Berkshire Hathaway recently sold its entire stake in the top 4 US Airlines and stock prices fell after the announcement. Stock pricing adjusts daily to numerous events. The decision of one investor, albeit a highly successful and world-renowned investor, should not be your only guiding principle of how to handle your investments.
Due to the C.A.R.E.S. Act, we now have the option to withdraw up to $100,000 from our 401(k) without penalty and pay back the distribution over three years. Additionally, you may have the option to take out a 401(k) loan at interest rates as low as 1%. That sounds pretty appealing. But should you do it?
As an airline pilot, it’s possible you may be eligible to start drawing your Social Security as soon as you retire from the airlines, but should you?
Are you nearing the end of your aviation career? You may not be ready to take off your epaulettes quite so soon, but the FAA currently mandates all airline pilots retire at the age of 65. Are you financially ready to make the transition?
Airline Pilots Face Unique Challenges
Pilots Face Unique Challenges
1. FAA mandatory age 65 retirement.
2. FAA Health and Medical Requirements – Risk of losing FAA Medical.
3. Airline Pilots typically spend one third to one half of their time away from their families.
4. Airline industry specific risks; Mergers/Acquisitions, Furlough, Bankruptcy.
5. Known high-income profession – Constantly offered financial schemes and get-rich-quick gimmicks.
How Leading Edge Financial Planning Can Help
1. We have experience helping airline pilots overcome the unique challenges and risks in the airline industry. Since I am an airline pilot, I am familiar with the potential pitfalls unique to our industry and how to mitigate those risks.
2. We understand how to maximize employer benefits. We help pilots prepare for and limit the risk of losing their ability to fly due to loss of their FAA Medical.
3. We utilize the latest client service technology to help organize and simplify your personal finances, thus reducing stress in your life.
5. Our investment and financial planning process increases your chances for success and enables you to spend your valuable time at home doing the things you love instead of worrying about investments and retirement planning.
We have a passion for helping our airline families understand where they are now, where they want to go and the best way to get there.
Achieving this clarity in your financial life reduces uncertainty, reduces stress and increases your quality of life now as well as in retirement.
Thank you for visiting our “Landing Page.” We sincerely hope we can be of service to you and your family. Please don’t hesitate to reach out via email or phone. We’d love to hear from you!
All the best and fly safe!
Charlie Mattingly, CFP®, MBA
Principal and Co-founder LEFP
Free One-Hour Consultation
Please call or book a free one-hour consultation.